Saturday, October 30, 2010

A review...Devour-ed


I am an avid restaurant goer. And by avid I mean: when I can afford it. As such my restaurant eyes have always steered me and my stomach and usually my girlfriend when I can drag her along, to smaller, more interesting, one-off establishments. It is my luck and probably one of my main reasons for loving Victoria so much, that this city prides itself on its unique restaurant community. It was with this thought in mind that I headed down to Devour the other day. Of course I had heard all about it. I had read reviews and checked periodically on the menu (I love watching it change everyday). And finally the opportunity presented itself for me to sample the goods.
The restaurant is simple and thought out, with only a few tables but enough space to move around. There were cookbooks up on shelves that I could have spent hours leafing through and speedy service. The food was outstanding. Simple and yet different. It defined itself by its ingredients, local and ever changing. I had a childhood favourite (and one that I tend to judge rather sternly): the grilled cheese sandwich. It was filled with aged cheddar and caramelized onions, accompanied by a herby salad and just large enough that I didn’t want to roll out the door afterwards. It was tasty and filling fare that didn’t break my bank. To put it simply: in a town with so many eating choices, I’ll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment